Since 1928 The Concord Group Insurance Company has been protecting the interests of residents and business owners throughout the region as a well-established Property and Casualty Mutual Insurance Company located in Central New Hampshire with offices in Maine, Vermont and Massachusetts. We are an affiliate of the Auto-Owners Insurance Company, an A.M. Best A++ rated multi-line property and casualty mutual insurer with over 100 years of history delivering outstanding customer service and exclusive commitment to Independent Insurance Agents. This position will be located in our office in Westborough, Massachusetts.
Effectively implement the Commercial Lines underwriting criteria in order to accomplish the goals of selecting profitable business and maintaining productive relationships with an assigned group of agents. The Commercial Lines Underwriter will accept, reject, or modify policy coverages for new business submissions and change requests.
- Review and analyze various risk characteristics developed from small to medium commercial risks.
- Work within underwriting guidelines, department standards and approval levels to accept, reject, or modify policy coverages for new business submissions, and change requests.
- Conduct agency visits to strengthen relationships, achieve continual awareness of underwriting positions and expectations, and identify opportunities to enhance the selection-submission-underwriting process. Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Effectively communicate our underwriting guidelines, positive and negative underwriting decisions, and other related matters orally and in writing to agents, insureds and co-workers.
- Adequately document/enter relevant insurance transaction information.
- Work collaboratively with all departments including marketing and sales to assist with prospecting and agency development activities.
- Work with countrywide, statewide, and company rating manuals to develop and confirm policy rating as needed.
- Provide input to management regarding local underwriting of commercial business based on the insurance conditions of the territory and make suggestions that would effectively change the marketplace.
- Perform assigned agency reviews to evaluate performance and recommend corrective action.
- Other duties as assigned including travel to the Home Office in Concord, NH.
- Bachelor’s degree or other post-secondary education required
- 5-10 years P&C underwriting experience specific to Commercial Lines
- Holding or pursuing industry designations, and certificates is desirable
- Excellent telephone skills, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within a PC environment with Microsoft Office and other software products
- Strong analytical skills
The Concord Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Concord Group participates in E-Verify.